The Liberal Studies program is designed to fulfill the needs of those students who:
- want to complete the first two years of an undergraduate degree in a Community College environment and then transfer to a four-year institution,
- are undecided about their educational goals and need an opportunity to explore their interests, or
- may be interested in obtaining only a two-year liberal studies degree.
The Liberal Studies program offers an associate degree that is equivalent to the first two years of a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree program, prepares students for transfer to four-year degree programs at the University of the District of Columbia as well as other institutions, allows room for additional liberal arts/general education requirements not required by UDC-CC’s Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree but may be required in a four-year program to which the student may decide to transfer, and allows for an area of concentration, special interest, or prerequisites for a transfer program.
Students may choose either an Associate of Science (A.S.) or an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree. Students interested in focusing on mathematics or the sciences should choose the Associate of Science degree. Students interested in focusing in the arts or humanities should choose the Associate of Arts degree. Students unsure of their major may choose either degree or make the selection towards the end of their program. Either of the programs gives the student the flexibility to fulfill the lower-division general education requirements for transfer and to pursue a major interest or fulfill prerequisites.
The Liberal Studies program consists of 63 credits:
- 36 credits - required liberal arts courses
- 15 credits - elective liberal arts courses (which the student may use to meet further four-year requirements needed to transfer)
- 12 credits - electives in an area of concentration, exploration, special interest, or prerequisites.
Please contact the Division of Student Achievement for more information or call 202.274.5830